Pages

1.14.2010

Starting the Cleanse

The pantry/fridge/freezer cleanse is under way, but not as productive as I'd like it to be.  It looks like we will be moving out sooner than later, so I feel like I really need to get a move on.  The biggest challenge, as most of you know, is that I'm a bit of a health nut.  Not the kind that eats only organic (although I try whenever possible) or shudders at the thought of chips or cookies (totally not me!), but more the kind that doesn't eat a lot of fat or bad carbs, and works out every day.  And a lot of the food that we have in the pantry is "junk food", or baking goods.  Most of the junk was bought for Chris, because let's be honest, he doesn't share the same sense of health that I do.   And I can't stop buying baking things.  I have a whole bin of various chips, sprinkles, and the like. 

I'm trying slowly but surely to get rid of a lot of the food.  Not all of it will travel well to it's new, yet unknown, destination, and I don't want to waste precious storage space with food.  My other problem:  I KEEP BUYING FOOD!!!  I really need to stop, I know there is more than enough food to last me the 40 days we expect to be in the house.  I haven't had a chance to make a recipe worth photographing, but I think that will change after tonight.  I also haven't completely rid myself of any one item.  In the meantime...here's a list of some freezer items I've managed to eat in the past few days.

Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage - Great breakfast food!
Texas Toast - One slice as "dessert".  Yes I have a warped view of dessert.
Frozen Corn - added it to a salad for a nice crunch and sweet flavor.

I'm hoping I can do much better soon, between baking cookies for the boys, and making some good recipes.  Wish me luck!

No comments: