Pages

3.10.2009

Shamrocks and Cat Burglars

This weekend was pretty uneventful. I did all the usual...laundry, a few workouts, and of course, baking. Lately I've been having this huge urge to bake, which isn't the best since no one is home to eat these things but me. On Saturday, during a trip to Wal-Mart for some pool chemicals, I walked down the baking aisle, just to see if they had mini m&ms in a bag, something I've been searching for ever since I made some cookies a month or so ago and couldn't find them. Well low and behold, they had them! I actually didn't buy them, dumb I know, but I saw the ever tasty Andes mint baking bits and started to have a craving. I had them at home, and I actually went home and made Andes mint cookies. They were so good! I made one tray, ate a few, and then put the rest of the dough in the fridge. It was for my own good at that point! I also made some enchilada casserole that night, but I'll save that recipe for another day, it's definitely one worth writing about.



Sunday was filled with more baking. I wanted to send Chris something to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. I know that they won't be celebrating since it's during the week and they are in the middle of a really intense schedule, but I thought he might like something baked. I went round and round about what to make, first starting with brownies, and then ending up with shamrock sugar cookies. They were super easy to make. Sunday I cut out the shamrocks and baked them.

Last night (Monday) I finished them up by frosting and adding some sprinkles. I frosted them with a method I hadn't exactly tried before...dipping. You create a frosting that's a little on the thin side, not runny, but something that is more than spreadable, and you actually dip one side of the cookie in the frosting. I was somewhat skeptical, but they turned out great! As you can see, the frosting ends up looking really smooth. I think you are supposed to dunk them further and then let the excess frosting drip off while the cookies are on a cooling rack, however, I only have one really small cooling rack, so I tried to eliminate this step, and just let them cool on wax paper and didn't dunk them as far.

Before the frosting dried completely, I added a variety of sprinkles. I promise they don't look so 3rd grader in real life. I was really pleased overall with how they turned out.




========================================


Now onto the second part of the title of this blog. Last night after a long night of frosting cookies, watching the Dancing with the Stars premiere, and some other odds and ends, I was finally going to bed at 11. I rarely stay up that late to begin with, and I had to be up at 5:00 this morning for my workout, so I was really ready to hit the sack. Just as I was getting comfy (literally, I had just tucked myself and Peanut in bed) I heard the most horrific crash of cans and glass coming from the kitchen. Most people might have been scared to death, especially being solo in the house with the 7 lb. chihuahua, not much of a watch dog, but the second it happened I knew exactly what it was. Hawkins had managed to jump onto the kitchen counter (something I highly frown on) and ran into my stash of empty coke cans. The whole reason for the stash is that I crush them and cash them in, but I usually only do it every few weeks. In the meantime they sit on the counter above the dishwasher. Well it just so happens that last night I had put a drinking glass on the counter, and not in the dishwasher, thinking I'd just do it in the morning. Side Note: I HATE when Chris does this. I get so frustrated with him when he takes his dishes and puts them on the counter immediately over the dishwasher, and not IN the dishwasher. So the one time I do it, disaster strikes. But back to the story. I guess when he ran into the cans, he knocked the glass onto the tile floor, and of course it shattered into a million pieces. Needless to say I had a fun time at 11pm cleaning up glass and soda cans, all while trying to keep two animals away from any glass shards. Thank goodness for that new Dyson vacuum (a Christmas present from my parents)!

2 comments:

Meg said...

Your cookies look delicious!!! I like the color green you use, too.

Hope you got all the glass picked up! I want a dyson!

Meg said...

I want the Andes mint recipe because I have some in my pantry that I need to use soon!