Pages

3.10.2009

Award Please / February in Review #1

I think I win the award for the worst blogger lately. It's been way too long since I've written anything, but to be honest, I haven't been all that motivated. I'm going to try real hard to get all these updates done, along with the other stuff that's going on in my life. Enjoy my first February Review in the meantime!
February in Review #1
Alright, so in hopes of getting everything posted before next February, here is my first review for February...my birthday. While my actual birthday is on the 10th, the celebration started on the 6th with my family party that I posted about here.

I guess my birthday started even before then if you count the fact that I got to open a gift early. Chris had told me he had ordered me something online and that it would be arriving at the house. I had no idea what it could be, and then the week before the big day, it showed up. I was so completely shocked to find out it was a video camera!!! I have been wanting one for a long time, and I can't believe that he remembered enough to make it a gift. I was on the phone with him when I opened it and I was probably almost screaming with excitement. It's small and records in HD which is perfect for us! I can't wait to use it a lot in the coming years.

On my actual birthday, my parents and I went to a local restaurant called Cowboy Ciao. We had never been there before, but since I was pretty apathetic this year about my dinner choice, we decided to give it a try. Classic me, I had already checked out the menu online before we ever went to dinner. There were a lot of options, so I figured that I would wait until we got there. The place was really cute inside, sort of a southwestern upscale shabby chic type of thing going on. The first thing we checked out was the wine menu. It was a HUGE book, with wines from tens of dollars to literally thousands of dollars. I don't think my dad would have gone for the $$$ bottles, so we found a reasonably priced bottle, which was very good. So good in fact, I took a photo to remember the name.
The food was just as great. For an appetizer we had the chicken and waffles, a little more upscale take on some of my favorite soul food. On a side note, if you are in the Phoenix area, I suggest going to Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles. If you ever need a sidekick, I'm it! But I digress...after the appetizers we dug right into our main course. In an effort to mix it up, we each ordered something different. I was not disappointed in the least with my choice, a pork ribeye, which is is the same cut as a beef ribeye, just with pork. It was so juicy and tender and pretty much the best pork I've ever had. It came with a side of crispy mac and cheese, which was sooooo tasty. Here's a recap of our meals.

My mom and her short ribs.

Me and my pork ribeye
My dad and his stuffed pork chop



After dinner, we checked out the dinner menu, but nothing was calling my name, so I requested to go to the Sugar Bowl. The Sugar Bowl is an old time ice cream parlor in the heart of Scottsdale, that's been around since the 50's I believe. It's even been featured in the Family Circus cartoons because the cartoonist was from Arizona. I don't think I really even needed dessert that night, but I insisted on ordering the brownie sundae, which is my favorite thing to eat there. I pretty much consumed the entire thing. Hello calories!!!! But they were birthday calories so they didn't count :)





Overall it was a great day! Next up...my trip back east!

No comments: