Pages

4.28.2008

The Great (Lunch) Debate

Are you one of those people who can't decide whether its better to bring your lunch to work, or simply eat out? I think that I am one of the few people who brings their lunch to work every day, or at least most days. When I was preparing my taxes this year, I was reviewing my bills from last year, and noticed quite a few restaurant charges. I can't believe how much I actually spent going out to lunch! Bringing your lunch doesn't have that dorky stigma that some might think. There are tons of great recipes for lunch items, its much healthier, and you save money. If time is an issue, pack it the night before and stick it in the fridge.

I want to challenge everyone to bring their lunch to work for one week, and see how you do. You should end up saving money, a typical lunch costs at least $8.00 unless you are eating off the dollar menu. That leads me to the next point, you will be eating healthier. Plus, bringing snacks from home will limit trips to vending machines or employee kitchens where lots of unhealthy items might be lingering. Here are a few ideas for bringing your own grub to work.
  • Cut up fresh fruit for the week, then bring a portion every day. Fruit is healthy, and can help to curb your cravings for sweets. Melon is a good choice, as well as berries.
  • Bring fresh salads. You can put anything you like on a salad, lean meats, nuts, and veggies are a good start. Don't forget to bring your own dressing. You will most likely be using less dressings than most lunchtime spots.
  • Don't forget the snacks. Both a morning and afternoon snack will help you in your fight against boredom (sometimes disguised as hunger). I suggest trail mix, veggies, or healthy crackers in the morning, and a snack bar in the afternoon. Be careful of protein bars, some contain large amounts of calories and fat, and should be used as a meal replacement, not a snack.

Give it a try, you might be surprised how easy it is!

No comments: