Pages

5.20.2008

Celebrate The Sun And Your Skin

This is the time of year that everyone wants to worship the sun. Weekends are spent laying out or in the water, and weekdays are spend dreaming of doing those things. After having several cases of skin cancer in my family, I have become obsessed with wearing some kind of protection at all times. So in celebration of the three day weekend, the nice weather, and the water, I have decided to spend a little time talking about my favorite sun care products.

In the summer months, I find it easiest to start the day with face protection. Instead of using the usual moisturizer after I wash my face, I use Banana Boat Sunwear Faces. It's SPF 30 and oil free, so you don't feel like you are wearing anything different. Even if all you are doing is going back and forth from the house to the car, or running errands, your face will stay protected. Of course, if I'm going to be spending extra time outdoors, I reapply often, and even better, try to wear a hat. I must admit, I'm not much of a hat wearer, but I know it helps so I do try, a little.

If you are going to be spending some time outdoors, either by yourself or with friends, or as the host of a party, make sure to also protect the rest of your body. The last thing you need is to be burned while trying to pull off the latest BBQ recipe and serving your favorite cocktail. My routine includes two different types, the spray kind, and the lotion kind. If I am going to be doing anything where I will be in and out of direct sun for under one hour, I use the spray kind. My choice is Coppertone Continuous Sport in SPF 15. It's quick and easy to apply and gets the job done.



When it's heavy sun time, or water time, I go with Banana Boat Sunblock Sport in SPF 30. This stuff is great! It stays on when you are in the water and doesn't leave any kind of "lotion feel" on your body. Plus, the bottle is large and lasts for a while, which is perfect for your wallet. I also discovered the Target is selling travel size bottles in their travel section. I bought a few and added one to my purse so I have it on hand whenever the sun calls my name.


My last note is when hosting an outdoor gathering, take a cute bucket such as an ice bucket or small galvanized tub and put different sun care items in it for your guests to use. They will appreciate the gesture, and so will their skin!

No comments: