Pages

5.16.2008

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Difficulty: Medium

Ok, so really I lied about being on top of things. But I will say that in my defense, I got sick and unfortunately haven't really done much of anything. So this recipe is a few days late, and it's purpose is also late, but that's ok. Wednesday was National Buttermilk Biscuit Day, so I wanted to celebrate by making the most fabulous homemade biscuits. I no longer will accept the biscuits from a tube, box, or package in my house, its only the good stuff! And the good stuff is Mrs. Knott's Buttermilk Biscuits...yes, as in Knott's Berry Farm! Back in my middle school years, my parents and I visited the famous Southern California amusement park, and bought this cookbook. Today, it's still the best recipe I've found. I love any excuse to make these, and Wednesday was the perfect one, but it came and went and no biscuits were made. So instead, I encourage you all to try to make these this week and send me your pictures!

Ingredients
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. plus 2 tsp. baking powder

Pinch salt

1 t. solid shortening, chilled

1/8 tsp. baking soda

1 c. buttermilk

Melted butter

Instructions
In an electric mixer, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening and mix until consistency of coarse meal. Combine baking soda and 1/3 c. buttermilk in a separate bowl and beat with a spoon until foamy. Add remaining buttermilk, blend, then add to flour and beat until well blended but do not over beat. Mixture will be very sticky.

Turn out onto a well-floured board, sprinkle top of dough with flour. Slip hands under dough and fold over top, like an envelope, then turn over on board. Pat dough out until one inch thick. Using a glass or heavy metal baking dish (approx. 11" x 7"), pour about 1/2 c. melted butter to coat bottom of dish. Cut biscuits with cookie cutter and roll each biscuit in butter. (Butter will cling to dough which is desirable). Continue cutting and rolling in butter. Biscuits should be touching each other. Bake in preheated 500F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: