Pages

5.07.2008

HAM AND CHEESE TURNOVERS
Difficulty: Easy

Thank goodness for my mom ... she gives me her Real Simple magazines to read after she finishes them. I love the magazine, yet for some reason, I don't like to buy it myself. But anyways, I digress. After I brought home the magazine and looked through it, one recipe really stood out in my mind. Not only did it look easy, but it had few ingredients (great for the wallet) and some I already had in my fridge. I also knew that Chris would enjoy these A LOT! He loves anything that involved bread, meat, and cheese, so I knew he was on board when I said I was going to give these a try. Saturday night was the big night, and let me tell you, these are indeed as easy as it gets. Normally I would make the pizza dough, but since it was a busy Saturday, I opted to buy the pop'n fresh packaged dough from Pillsbury. I did deviate from the instructions in that I made 4 larger ones, instead of 8, and I omitted the onion for the simple fact I didn't want to cut onion that night. I encourage making the salad to go with it, it was the perfect weekend meal and made little mess in the kitchen. Oh, and somehow they were all gone at the end of the night, and I only had one...I'm wondering who else ate the other three... :)

Ingredients
1 lb. package refrigerated pizza dough
8 oz. deli ham, thinly sliced
4 oz. Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, cut into thin rings
2 tsp. whole-grain mustard
2 t. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small head romaine, torn into pieces

Instructions
Heat oven to 400° F. Roll the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle and cut into 8 triangles. Stack a piece of the ham, cheese, and onion on the bottom of each triangle and roll the dough up around the filling. Some of the filling will stick out the ends, and that's ok. Transfer the rolls to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Check and cook longer if neccessary. Combine the mustard and oil in a medium bowl and toss with the romaine. Serve with the turnovers.

No comments: